The kittens are 3 weeks and 1 day old now! I think we have 3 boys (apparently it CAN be challenging to tell the difference when they're so new). They're all three orange tabbys. Two of them have little eye infections so I'm constantly wiping teabags on their eyes and treating with a homeopathic eye drop solution. (yes, I have spoiled kitties) The girls have named them Pumpkin, Garfield and Grilled Cheese. (although if you're taking one you can name it whatever you want!) Pumpkin is the fat one. They're all learning to walk now and will soon start weaning (I would be so sad if my little ones weaned at 4 weeks old!)
And yes, for those who are wondering, we DID know we were having kittens just didn't know when they were coming. She started birthing on Josh's hunting vest on the second shelf of the shelving unit in the garage. She had already had 3 kitties when we came home from Josh's grandparent's house three Sundays ago. Two kittens were on the shelf with her and one had fallen off!!!!! One of the two on the shelf with her, however, had not been removed from it's sac so it had already died. The other two were alive and wailing. She had taken their sacs off but had not removed the placentas so I had to cut the cords. You're technically not supposed to move them when they're having their babies, but since one had already fallen off I thought it might be better for her to be on the ground. I moved her and the two already out kitties into a towel lined laundry basket in the laundry room. She proceeded to have one more kitten and then was finished birthing.
Kittens are just one more thing for me to worry about but we're loving them and what a great science lessons for the kids! They're learning all about the animals opening their eyes and their ears, learning to walk, weaning, etc.
I'll have more pictures of the kitties later.
Monday, April 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
All sorts of birthing going on with you! Can't wait to see the little guys. I did learn from a cat person once that all orange tabby's are boys.
P.S. if you do shipping I would take one!
Please keep all your fertility on your side of the street! :)
Post a Comment