I don't particularly love TV. I wouldn't say I hate it, but I've definitely come a long way. When we were first married we had basic cable but as soon as we could afford it we got digital cable. We had (I think) 200 some channels. There were shows to watch at any hour of the day. We eventually cancelled it and went to nothing (just a TV and DVD player- not hooked up to any kind of bunny ears even) and I LOVE it! I will confess that I used to let my kids watch TV anytime they wanted- it was on during the day. Since our TV is in the great room (family room,breakfast area and kitchen combo) it permeated our life. It got to where I would automatically turn it on during breakfast or while I was cooking dinner. The TV 'schedule' made life challenging- couln't do girl's night out on certain nights because of the shows that were on- didn't want to miss 'em! We've been cable free for almost 2 years now and I'm lovin' it! Yes, it takes a bit more planning to set the kids up with the play-doh while I cook dinner, and yes it does require more cleaning up on everyone's part, but it's SO worth it. My kids play more, are more imaginative and as an added bonus, they're not exposed to things I don't want them to be (in particular commercials).
So.......here is the confession part of the post.........

I had never watched 24 before December 2007. For Christmas my mom gave us the first and second seasons to 24. Let's just say- we've watched 5 full seasons of 24 (plus 4 episodes of the sixth) since Christmas. Yes folks, if you do your math that's 124 hours of 24 in not even 4 months. Ok, so it's out in the open- I've been a TV addict since Christmas. I don't watch during the day or when the kids are awake, but once they're in bed- all bets are off. Josh and I will sometimes watch 3 or 4 shows in a row- staying up until 1am! Ok, now that you know my secret-shhh don't tell!
3 comments:
I keep telling Michael I want to get rid of cable, but then never have the guts to follow through. I too am like how you describe yourself before your t.v. break - it's almost always on, even if i'm not watching it. But with just me and one child, it can get really quiet in the house without it, so I justify by saying it's background noise. Not a good excuse! Anyway, 24 is totally addicting, and I'm glad you found out how much fun it is to love Jack Bauer. And Tony Almeda...
Sounds like me when I discovered House! I'm in serious withdrawals at the moment. Aaron insists on having cable, but as you know, we didn't put a tv in the great room (so no tv near the kitchen or conversation area). So far, we haven't missed it at all.
I read this somewhere..."Every screen-free moment is a gift to your child."
I love the pics in your side bar. I think I'm going to borrow your idea.
Post a Comment