Saturday, April 19, 2008

72 Hour Kits

I've had several folks ask me about my 72hour kits. So here's a post...........

Everyone in the family has a backpack that we use for their 72 hour kit. Most of the backpacks I purchased at clearance sales after the back-to-school time at Target.


Each backpack has a laminated tag with the 'owner's' name on it and some reminders. Josh's says: Have shoes?, Turn off utilites?, Get camping gear?.....I would also be getting my midwifery stuff- if it really is a HUGE disaster many women will go into labor from the stress.
And here they all are in their cozy little home in the hall closet. (Thrown on top of each other very sloppily.) The lack of organization here drives me crazy but I don't know how else to do it.

So here is a list of what's in them. (well, there are a few more misc. things in MINE that aren't on the list- a dog leash, and a sewing kit)

*Bag to hold it all – backpack works well
*Water
*Adequate Food-I recommend MREs- they're pricey but it's nice not to worry for 7 years
*Pocket Knife
*Insect Repellant
*Sunscreen
*Money –bills and coins
*Phone Card
*Coloring Book/Crayons
*Permanent Marker
*Paper/Pen
*Mini First Aid Kit- I have a list for what to go in this if you need it
*Eating Utensils
*Poncho
*Emergency Blanket
*Batteries
*Copies of SS Cards, Birth Certificates, Insurance Info
*Current pictures of everyone in family
*Plan list of who to call (NOT in state) if something happens AND where to meet – have two places- one local and one not- depending on why needed
*Map of Winston-Salem –or other local city
*Latex Household Gloves
*Duct Tape
*Toiletries Kit- toothbrush, soap, toothpaste, brush, lotion, etc.
*Tampons/Pads for mama or teen girls
*Diapers for kiddos- I suggest cheap cloth- washes easily and can be used for longer than 72hrs if needed
*Matches
*Whistle
*Toilet Paper – with the roll taken out and smushed down – store in Ziploc bag
*Flashlight
*Trashbags
*Ziploc Bags
*Emergency Stove
*Mini-Shovel
*Radio
*Nylon Rope
*Clothespins
*Hatchet
*Change of Clothes/Undies/Socks
*Scriptures


Update clothes/food/insurance info,etc. 2 times a year. (April & Oct)

2 comments:

Danielle said...

You are my hero!

Jessica said...

this is awesome! i'm gonna get started working on ours. good job!