Saturday, April 28, 2007

Saturday is a special day.......

.....it's the day we get ready for Sunday!

I've tried over and over to use Saturday to prepare for the Sabbath. Although we could debate about the origins of the Sabbath being on Sunday vs. Saturday, I'll leave that opportunity for research up to you. Unfortunately, our culture these days doesn't respect the Sabbath day (whether one chooses to observe on Saturday or Sunday). There always end up being so many activities I feel the need to participate in on Saturday (baby showers, birthday parties, etc) that I don't end up fully preparing for Sunday.

In Exodus 31:16-17 we read ,"Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual acovenant. It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in asix days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed." Eeek! I don't treat this covenant with as much respect and commitment as treat other covenants. I guess I better work on that.

Things I am doing/trying to do to keep the Sabbath Day holy/prepare for the Sabbath:
*Lay out all of the children's clothing for the Sunday on Saturday night
*Pack the diaper bag and put it next to the garage door on Saturday night
*Pack up my bag for the children's class I teach and put it next to the garage door on Saturday night
*Have easy, yummy, filling things in the pantry for quick breakfasts on Sunday morning
*Have the house ~spotless~ on Saturday night when I retire to bed so that I won't feel stressed by the mess in the morning
*Make sure my sweet husband has all of his church clothing options available and clean in the closet to speed up the process of getting ready
*Arise before everyone else so that I may pray, shower and dress before the hustle to get ready begins
*Wake everyone up with plenty of time to get ready so there is no rush
*Make sure the van is full of gas on Saturday night
*Listen to respectable music on Sunday
*SMILE!!

I'm off to start preparing for tommorow! I hope you all have a wonderful Sabbath. See you again on Monday!!

No comments: